View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 AM

Default Workplace Gripes – Vent Here! ! (or just share workplace stories)

Are coworkers or office politics driving you nuts? Any good stories? Talk to me people! (And feel free to offer your thoughts on the failures of management and business development. I’ve got lots of questions about those.)

I’ll start with two burning questions I’ve had for a couple years now –

1. Why do companies expand their staff on the idea that they MIGHT get some new contracts? This seems to go against common sense to me. I would think you would keep a small staff until you were awarded the contracts, then move quickly to hire people after the fact. Anyone else experience this in their companies?

Our company keeps adding to its staff when we already have more than enough workers to do the job. Three of my friends have confided in me that they often have nothing to do. Like absolutely NOTHING to do and nothing to put on their timesheets. They are a little ticked about the new hires. Any business planners or bosses out there want to try to explain this strategy?

2. Changing topics, what’s the point of the performance review (or staff appraisals)? A lawyer friend of mine once told me that they can fire you at any time they want, and they don’t need to justify cause. He said that having a history of good performance reviews is pretty meaningless in the end. Does anyone else find the process a total waste of time?