View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Hoi Polloi\'s highly anticipated stat post

[ QUOTE ]
Also, in some spots you earn money by going to showdown. Players that see more showdowns are might be better at inducing bluffs on the river when they have the lead OOP. I'm not saying there's no extra cost, but I think there's definately situations where some players spend the same amount on a fold as others do on a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Bet-fold lines, by definition, cannot induce bluffs. Actually, they can induce bluffs, which is part of the problem with them, but you aren't calling down those bluffs.

In any event, I definitely take a pot-oriented thought process when I play. The first order of business is to figure out if I have a material probability of getting my opponent to make an incorrect fold. The second order of business is making sure that I don't play myself off my hand. Then I worry about collecting value, or minimizing loss.

Of course, it is far more nuanced than that. But from a 30000-foot level, the betting stucture of limit hold 'em is highly conductive to seeing a lot of showdowns.