View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Front vs. Back Squats, injury prevention, etc

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm also looking for advice. I seem to be getting hurt frequently in the weight-room. When I started the Rippetoe program, I basically went straight into the heavy weight, 3x5 program. I went from sedentary to heavy work instantly. Should I have taken a few weeks with lighter weight and more reps to get my body more adjusted?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you already know the answer to this... yes. You should have made a slower transition. I suggest you get yourself healed up before diving back in to the program. Sometimes it's necessary to work through an injury or two, but I'm guessing you don't have a a big game coming up that requires this. Once you do get healed up, go back to work gradually ramping up the intensity over a month.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also looking to drop weight, so perhaps I should do some circuit type thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure your program is aligned with your goals. A 3X5 program may not be the best for weight lose. We've had the argument before about building muscle and bulking up/losing weight at the same time and it always gets ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm fat yo! And I'm a beginning weightlifter, so can't I make STRENGTH gains and lose weight at the same time?