View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Front vs. Back Squats, injury prevention, etc

I completely agree on the front squat issue. It is much easier to teach a proper front squat than a proper back squat in my experience. I see no reason not to back squat though.

[ QUOTE ]
It also recommends ditching conventional deadlifts, but I think for non-powerlifters there might be less of a concern. Powerlifters will do the lift in competition with a rounded back trying to make a record pull, whereas people just trying to get stronger and not compete don't have any pressure to use a round-back form.

[/ QUOTE ]

At a powerlifting meet the whole goal is to get the bar up....anyway possible. His reasoning for ditching conventional deadlifts just because they can be done with terrible form isn't that great really. Watch a strongman competition...watch their form as they get tired, it gets crappy and more "injury prone" perhaps, but that is because they are doing what it takes. If you can always have your form checks down on a deadlift, it should never really be that much of an injury risk.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also looking for advice. I seem to be getting hurt frequently in the weight-room. When I started the Rippetoe program, I basically went straight into the heavy weight, 3x5 program. I went from sedentary to heavy work instantly. Should I have taken a few weeks with lighter weight and more reps to get my body more adjusted? I'm also looking to drop weight, so perhaps I should do some circuit type thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please define "getting hurt." You mean something more than the general soreness or discomfort that comes from working out? If so how are you getting hurt, what type of pain, and what exercises are aggravating this pain?

Your body will adjust itself to the stress your putting it under. Once you have form down, the "injury risk" won't be different with lighter weight and more reps. A properly performed bench press 5 times and a properly performed bench press ten times shouldn't be more likely to injure you.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....5-183-training

This is a perfect article to help your shoulder question.