View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 11:18 PM

Default Re: I Play Weak-Tight

I had a similar situation in the pink (7.5/15) at the Trop a few weeks ago. I had JJ UTG against a 10 high flop. I had folded to a flop bet/raise several times in past hour and suspected my image was somewhat weak. I bet, fat drunk raised, late position reraised, the BB (a good player) check-capped, I just called. The turn was a blank, BB checked, I checked, and the other two players checked. River made a small straight possible. BB checked, I bet was was called by one other player. JJ was good.

On the other hand at my regular 4/8 home game where most of the players are somewhat tight, this is an insta-muck.

This is a hard decision. Top pair (Ax) will usually raise. Straight draws (QJ) will often bet or raise. UTG could have Ax and be trying to push you out or making a "free card" check raise. I suspect that you are no worse than second place, with a reasonable chance that you are best. In a tight game, this is an easy fold. But the game as you described is not tight. Your decision here is based entirely on how you read the game and the other players.

Do you smell that one of you opponents have two pair or set? Think at several levels. What do you think they have? What do they think that you have? How often do they try to muscle people of the pot? Do you usually showdown winners? Do they usually showdown winners? Weigh the possibilies, consider the payoffs and risks. If you have a weak-tight image, opponents are more willing to take shots at you.