View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 5: Pot Control

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question, that I am not sure of, if it is answered in the book:

You say that when you don't want to commit, you shouldn't put more than 1/3 of your stack in the pot as a general goal. The whole chapter seems to assume that you are playing a medium or deep stack. I'd like to toy with the 40-60BB stack a little, so I am wondering if I have to adjust this guideline. I think I read in the book that it's always 1/3 of the effective stacks. So when I am playing a short stack with 40BB, I don't want to put more than 13BBs in the pot? Did I get that correctly? Or is the 1/3 portion to be understood playing a 100BB stack, so that I don't want to put more than 30BBs in a pot, that would leave me with a mere 10BBs when I am playing a short stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't want to put more than 1/3 of the EFFECTIVE stack in the pot. It doesn't matter if that's your stack or not.

The point of buying in short for 40-60BBs is that it's easier to get committed, so playing AK, AQ, JJ, etc is easier. In terms of PNL, it's easy to get 1/3 of the effective stack in, so it's easy to commit. So, yes, it still applies when you buy in short.