View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Re: **Ask a golf course employee**

[ QUOTE ]
Here's one I'll throw out there that is a pet peeve of mine.

Most courses have different colored flags to indicate front, middle and back. Unfortunately, most courses simply use a pattern that rotates. For instance, flag on #1 is front, #2 is middle, #3 is back and so on. Front, middle, back, front middle, back. The next day it is middle, back, front, middle, back, front, etc. Add and repeat.

Now I know why this is, when cutting the holes in the morning, the worker simply works backwards and takes the pin from #18 to #17, #17 to #16 and so on. It's easy. Well, I don't know about you guys, but I get sick and tired of knowing where every pin is going to be after I play the first hole. To make matters worse, my home course has 3 par 3's on the back nine, #11, 14 and 17. So the pin is always the same on every par 3! That bites.

But let's look at it one step further. Most courses are closed on Mondays and nothing is done with the pins. In keeping with the rotation, this means that the pins are in the same depth every Tuesday, or Thursday, or whatever. Imagine you only get to play golf on Saturdays. Well, using this system the pins are going to be in the same place every single time you play. EVERY TIME! That really bites.

I just don't see why more course don't just randomly cut the holes and stick the appropriately colored flag into them. That way you might have 3 straight fronts, or a 7 hole stretch with no backs.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what kind of courses you've played at but with ample size greens i think there is enough variance in pin placement to make everyone happy. at my course the flag was taken from 18 then they cup cutter would go from 1 to 2 to 3 and so on as to stay infront of the first group