View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 03:34 AM

Default Why doesn\'t Ron Paul speak the truth re: the bias against him

He always seems to gloss over it when (sympathetic interviewers) ask him things like "You speak the truth, but why does everyone think you're insane?"

A lot of people talk about the media being biased or bad, but I don't think many people realize that it really is biased towards group think. Like, it is. There's no reason to suspect it wouldn't be. Debate isn't eye catching when you thoroughly examine underlying axioms to various questions and then agree that most things just depend, or could be interpreted in different ways.

The classic John Stewart/Crossfire clip comes to mind. Why doesn't Ron Paul sound off about these things the way Jon Stewart did?

Whether you agree with the Libertarian philosophy or not, I think everyone on this board can agree that having a politician in the debate who argues principally from his underlying beliefs, and then extensions of those beliefs, is a very good thing to see on the television set. So this is really the best chance we may ever see for a politician somewhere on the radar of attention to articulate these things.

Of course the obvious answer is that he doesn't want to piss the media off and make it even harder on himself. And I guess he doesn't want to come off as whiney to people who'd think he's just scapegoating. But still, I dunno. It's not like the mainstream media could be much worse for him. If he spoke his mind about the absurdity of the whole process (which I'm only assuming is something he does agree is bad), I feel like he'd do himself more good than bad, and work towards a good cause in the process.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he never really delves into this stuff other than "well they think I'm eccentric, and I'm not really sure why... to me, they're eccentric." I'd like to see him just spit out the truth, and explain why the media and mainstream thought will always be biased against someone whose beliefs aren't based on what's easiest to digest. He seems so willing to tell it like he is, but then seems to turn into a politician when this subject comes up.