View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Why people do not believe in libertarianism

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
O rly?

The beauty of democracy is, I would say, its perceived goodness and practicality. It's anything but simple.

[/ QUOTE ]
The idea is simple. The people choose their leaders and clerks and make a system of law such that individual rights are protected. All the rest is detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. But the "detail" is where things get complicated. Who are "the people"? Why do I have to have the same leader as my neighbor? Why do people who live in seattle have a different leader than those in vancouver, while they have to share a leader with those in miami?

The idea is simple. Ponies for every child. All the rest is detail.

[ QUOTE ]
The idea of "this is my property, this is your property, there are no commons" is a very long way from simple. How do you define property without law? Is it the number of guns you can hire to keep everyone off a certain area?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, but these aren't issues that democracy has to wrestle with?

[ QUOTE ]
I truly believe that people that have grown up under stability and democracy take for granted the protections it offers and the restraint it places on the uglier and irrational side of human nature (which they never get to see).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I would support anarchy if 90+% of people were intelligent, rational, fair minded and compassionate individuals. It's a no brainer. But if that were the case, government would work just fine too, merely as a system of convenience and charity.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are too dumb, I have to tell them what to do.