View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Re: maybe this can help...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I get bored I'll search for it online, which you could as well, unless your a googletard

[/ QUOTE ]

why would i look for a study that the sun doesnt rise if im not the one making the extraordinary claim?

Ive got better things to do. However, if you want to show your point and bring some evidence to back this up, then i'll definitely look at this.

I just found it ironic that you go as far as saying the article has nothing to do with the real world and audaciously asked for a citation when you've provided nothing of the sort yourself even when asked of you. You have no theory or empiricism on your side.

[ QUOTE ]
I actually said (large professional investors that are tracked by investment managers)

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt you bring this up to say that i couldnt make money in the market? You said my past predictions of gold were all dumb luck and my future predictions deserve no worth because of that?

"
it has to do with your inference that the run up in gold the last few years was somehow predictable and a "good investment" a priori. When you continually throw darts at a dart board you'll eventually hit the bulls eye. That doesnt mean your aim has gotten any better." - Copernicus

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you have knowledge or abilities the market doesnt have it should be obvious that you can't consistently beat the market. Except for transaction costs and real increases in the value of the market (eg productivity gains increasing the real net worth of all companies) it is a zero sum game where you have no edge. Gold is clearly not something that has underlying value growth driving increases in price. In fact, if anything, gold has underlying value decreases built in which make a negative sum game. Gold was artificially scarce at the point when it was delinked from currencies because world wide Treasuries had vast stores of gold that were unavailable to the market, and they instituted standards to limit sales of gold to avoid market shock. The claims that central banks are "dumping" gold to keep the price depressed is another use of a perjorative term that inaccurately describes the process. They have shown restraint to avoid "dumping" for the same reason the Chinese would be cutting their own throats for dumping US Treasuries.