View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: PCA hand, allin preflop with 76o at the 100/200 level

I don't see the point in the initial raise with this blind size and no ante. I guess I am just a boring TAG, but I wouldn't raise complete junk unless I had a really good chance to steal the blinds. I would raise 76s here all the time. I would like to have a suited connector gapper or suited ace/king, a pp, or two cards 9 or higher or something to raise with.

Since I wouldn't play 76o to begin with, I wouldn't push with it. However, I see nothing wrong with pushing light CO vs. BB LAG vs. LAG. However, I wouldn't be raising with 76o, and I think this play works much better with 55, A3s, JTs, KJo, or something like that, and these are also reasonable CO raising hands. 76o is 25% versus a top 5% hand. The other hands I mentioned are aroungd 33% versus a top 5% hand.

Varkonyi 4-bet allin button vs. BB with QTs and Helmuth called with AKs. This was probably a good play given Helmuth's tendency to bully and fear of playing for all his chips.

I kind of don't see the point in raising so loosely to begin with at this stage of the tournament. Once you do that, defending your raises this way may be a good play. However, I think fighting so hard for blinds is kind of unnecessary at this point. It becomes very necessary later on.

I like the push better than a smaller raise, because you are in position. If you make it 8K, you set up a stop and go for villain, which you probably won't be able to call. Also, if you make it 8K, you probably have to call a preflop push, even with 76o.