View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Case in Point...

[ QUOTE ]
They have no choice! You do understand that, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but I'm saying they (probably, mostly) prefer not to have the choice. Are you oppressed because you're not allowed to choose whether or not to commit fraud? (Note: I'm not equating anything with fraud here; I'm just using it to illustrate the point.)

[ QUOTE ]
To speak out means punishment or death! If it weren't for religion, do you honestly think a woman would choose to have her own clitoris cut off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those things seem as awful to me as they do to you, but it's not immaterial that, on balance, they seem a lot less awful to the supposed victims. I'm not saying that's the end of the discussion, but it's at least a relevant, ameliorating factor.

[ QUOTE ]
The anologies are very apt, because they both entail people who fear for their lives if they rebell. They both also entail a false sense of security.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are undeniable similarities, but the analogies were not apt because they did not speak to the point I was making. I said that these women tended to approve of their restrictions and to support their enforcement. The analogies compared this situation to ones in which the opposite was true.