View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Beginner FAQ....Tips and Drills Inside-All Levels

[ QUOTE ]

As for your first question...if you hit a tee shot, and you can find it, you can't just go back to the tee to hit another one.
This happened to Mickelson a few years back...he hit his tee shot in some deep brush. He then tried to make sure nobody would look for the ball, because he wanted to play his provisional ball that he had already hit from the tee. However, they found his ball so he had to take an unplayable lie, which left him with a much tougher shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a decent chance I'm wrong, but that was not my understanding of the rule. The reason Mickelson didn't want anyone to look was because it would invalidate his provisional, not the act of hitting a second ball all together. You can pretty much always take a stroke and distance penalty and replay your last shot, or so I thought. Once Mickelson found the first shot, his provisional (played in case the first shot was lost) was no longer in play. However, he could still take an unplayable from the first shot, that he found, and rehit it from the tee, for his third shot.

Correct me if I'm wrong.