View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Zero Rake Poker Business plan

[ QUOTE ]
Ben, it's not the methods of raising money that I disagree with, it's the cause. Most non-profits are actually raising money for something worthy. Rake-free poker I don't think qualifies,

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look at the Sports Car Club of America for a big thriving organization that's only purpose is to give people an avenue to practice their hobby.

How about Trout Unlimited: formed to improve and protect fishing grounds. (nice parallel to our purpose [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) They raised $4 million from their members last year. OK, they have evolved into a conservation organization, a 'worthy' cause, but basically it's fisherman selfishly protecting their hobby.

The cause doesn't have to be 'worthy', you just need a lot of people to care. I think there are a lot of people who care about poker, in general, online poker in specific, and a who would support a fully legal, rakefree site.

[ QUOTE ]
and to get all these players you guys keep talking about is going to take a heavy ad campaign. That's the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that a big Full Tilt style ad campaign is necessary. Start in the most favorable state, and when you are ready to kick off, do a PR push to get the state media to cover the story. I doubt the PPA will be actually try to make this site happen, but if someone else did, maybe PPA'd be willing to send an email to members in that state.

I think that would be enough to get the ball rolling. WPEX was swamped after they went rakefree and got that CardPlayer article. They wasted the opportunity, though, by having such garbage software in place that it was near impossible to play without getting violently angry.