View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 AM

Default some advice to the newer bbv4l posters

I thought we could compile some advice to the newer bbv4l posters and maybe sticky it for a while, because some people are just taking a crap all over the front page of bbv4l and I don't want to start handing out tempbans.

Here are some guidelines that might help some of the newer people:

1) Before you make a new thread, ask yourself if people will like it or not or if you're better off posting it in your blog.

2) When in doubt, MAKE LESS THREADS. Start less threads, more responses to posts and only start threads if it is something interesting, funny, or original. You'll notice a lot of the best posters only make a few new threads a week but they are generally very high quality. The worst posters make 4-5 new threads a day and they are generally terrible.

3) try to avoid list type of threads as they don't really add anything to the forums except boost your post count.

Example:
-ten movies that begin with the letter s
-post a picture of a dog!
-rate this cat!
-etc

4) take a look at the content and length of your last ten posts. If more than three of them were short little bbv4l catchphrases like 'f oot, ldo, etc.' and didn't add anything really at all to the discussion, you might want to start posting less and post only when you actually have something to say.

5) I'm going to repeat it again: post when you have something to say that you think is worth discussing.
YOUR POST COUNT DOESN'T MATTER. Some of the best posters in bbv4l have <100 post counts but everything they post is gold.

6) If you have an issue with something that is going on in the forum, pm me or adanthar. Unless you actually have constructive criticism, don't make stupid threads about how BBV4l is being OOT2 or how we should ban so-and-so or whatever. We can handle it privately and very easily via pm.

Anyone else have anything to add?

gw