View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Poker Tournaments Are Like Playing Golf

When I approach my golf ball I try to let my instincts control my swing with the exception of a few pointers that I keep in the front of my mind that are usually related to areas that have been recently causing me trouble. For instance, for my next round I'm going to focus on leading the shot with my hips, not breaking my wrists too much, and moving my swing a little more outside-in. Learned instincts will guide the rest of my swing.

Before I begin a poker tournament, I let my instincts dictate my overall strategy with the exception of a few guidelines that I focus on that I believe will help me play better and that have been recent weaknesses. I sometimes even write these down and keep them next to my monitor. For instance, for my next tournament I will note to raise more often when debating between raising and calling and to open up my thinking as to not put my opponent on such a narrow range and to play accordingly against his "wider" range.

When these short term tips eventually become engraved in my brain, I look for more tips to follow. However, sometimes I am forced to revisit old tips.