View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: school confiscates cell phone, lawyer dad is mad?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4_2_it: that policy is unacceptable because its a zero tolerance policy. zero tolerance policies are necessarily inefficient decision making systems. i think everyone sees why so i won't explain further.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i don't think everyone sees why. i do not.

i think zero tolerance policies are excellent. things such as, if you are convicted of murder on three separate occasions you must spend life in jail. i think that's a good zero tolerance policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok what if you are convicted of murder. then it is overturned. then you are convicted of murder again and it is overturned again... then you are convicted of a murder a third time, then some evidence comes to light and it is clear you are innocent.

by your zero tolerance policy you should spend your life in prison despite never actually killing anyone.

silly example? yes. stupid example? yes.

the point is, zero tolerance policies treat all cases as equal when they necessarily aren't. i have actually studied decision analysis, and i think i have read a paper that proves mathematically that these systems are generally worse that other "simplified" decision making systems. i could look it up. empirical evidence alone should be compelling enough though imo.