View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: how much to keep online

I keep $6-8k online, and cash out monthly back down to c.$6k.
I play $100 and $200 6 max NL full stacked, $200 and $400 6 max short stacked, $50 and $100 NL HU and once nite a week or so play MTTs in the $20-$50 buy-in range.

I did have $13k or so online at the beginning of the year, but it's better off in my real world accounts in £ rather than sitting in $ in Neteller the way the $ is sliding.

There are certain sites that are as close as you can get to 100% safe (the huge euro bookie or govt backed sites like Will Hill, Ladbrokes, Betfair and Svenska Spel).

Listed euro sites like Party and wallets like Neteller itself are also regulated pretty strictly for financial compliance and should be safe enough (but I haven't kept any significant sums in NT except for one day transits since their US accounts were frozen and they got delisted from AIM last year).

Stars, although a privately owned offshore site dealing with American players (which makes it much more likely to be subject to disastrous US Govt intervention than euro sites for instance), has by far the best reputation of the private sites. FTP I'm not sure about.

Historically some of the Ongame network skins weren't very well regarded, Pacific was a pain to get money out of, and obv. Absolute (and its sister site UB) have reputational issues at the moment, but most of the larger sites should be relatively safe.

Almost without exception whenever there is an 'XXX site stole my money post', it's a) never from a well-respected poster and b) it turns out the site was justified in the end once the facts come out. Similarly most hacking stories end up been by users who let themselves be compromised one way or another.

Use different passwords for each site; keep the mimimum online you need; don't keep all your eggs in one basket -usual common sense approach should see you safe enough..

and good luck