View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Re: How Can I Tell If I Have a Tell?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've posted this multiple times here, but I'll say it again. I think waiting to look at your cards is TERRIBLE advice. It seems to be one of those old poker wisdom gems that just keeps getting passed around.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course you are right here. People who look early and are prepared to fold when it gets to them is the single most reliable tell I use in live games. Some people are so obvious that they'll put a chip on their cards if they are going to play them. Others hold them in a firing position for folding. Others pay attention to the action if they are interested in their hand and others chat with their neighbor if they plan to fold. I have even encounted players who have the BB counted out, ready to limp in. I suppose it is unwise to give advice to change that.

Personally, I am going to stick to waiting for my turn to check my cards. I always look left to see who is looking at their cards. I was in a tourney in Vegas last month wher the two guys to my left held their cards above the felt for insta folding. The button was virtually mine for three hands in a row every orbit.

As well, I can act very quickly since I am ranging my hand compared to my position and action thus far (and the guys behind me who looked early). As well, I don't have fireworks go off when I see AA. Instead I'm already thinking about the various hands that are going to crack them.

I honestly didn't think this particular topic would generate so much controversy so I humbly strike it from my original response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100%

As others have said though, when UTG, i'll usually fold before the deal is completed. Otherwise, I look at my cards as the player on my right does - it's impossible for me to slow down the action this way.

I don't understand the whole, "look early, so you have time to think." What is there to think about when its not your turn? "I'm going to raise, i'm going to fold, i'm going to ___" how can you know what you are going to do before the players ahead of you act? This is one reason I never got the online "fold to any bet" "check" ahead of time buttons.