View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Stud High- 554

[ QUOTE ]
3) 4 or 5 way isn't what you want with small pairs

[/ QUOTE ]so 4 or 5 isn't considered multi-way, then? I figured anything > 3 = multi-way. It seems to me that if this hand is only playable in a multi-way pot if 6 or more players are in the hand it's hardly worth mentioning, as even at this low level I rarely see that many go to 3rd.

[ QUOTE ]
4) cold calling completions and raises (often) is not a winning way to stud

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah- I very rarely cold-call in stud. Of course, I usually don't play low pairs with crappy kicker either . . . this entire hand was an experiment for me.

I actually DO understand how the number of players in a pot affects whether or not you can play a hand and/or how you should play it, but hands like this are uncharted territory for me. I mostly stick to big pairs, standard drawing hands, and pairs with overs, etc.

So let me sum up and see if I get this right-

A hand like this I might cold call if:
a) I were last or near to last and it was pretty clear 6 or more people were going to see 4th
and
b) my pairing, straight, AND flush potential was live

I might also re-raise if:
a) I thought I could get the pot heads up
and
b) my pairing, straight, AND flush potential was live

btw, I do think if I'd raised I could have gotten the pot heads up- enough so that if my hand were a bit more live it could have been the correct play. The cold call was something new because I remembered (vaguely, at the time) this type of hand being a good cold-calling hand in a multi-way pot. I didn't correctly assess how live I was, however, nor does it seem that I have the correct definition of what a mult-way pot is.