View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: OOT, What is your life situation?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And dude, I hear ya. I was in your shoes when I was 24. Was in a PhD program in medical microbiology and I hated where that career was going. That was maybe the unhappiest years of my life. In the end I cut my losses, downgraded to a MSc and bolted. I then locked myself in 4 years of medical school which was a tough decision. I don't have any regrets, but with you having a fiancee and stuff it might be tough for you to take on 4 years of another program and all that extra debt you will incur. Once you start a 9-5 with steady income things might turn around for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I finished that same sort of program (PhD Micro/Immuno) and have been on an extended post-doc ever since. Ironically it would be easier for me to get an academic job that focuses primarily on basic science if I had gone the MD route. However PhDs get to live the life of a scrubby student for years past when they should be responsible adults.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a completely true observation. And I didn't mind the research part at all, it was like daily intellectual masturbation. What I hated was all the administrative BS that goes with a faculty position (writing grants, reviewing grants, writing papers, committees and whatnot). All the students were loving it and all the faculty were depressed....just didn't want to end up like them. I think a private job in research is the way to go.