View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

Here is what the Yankees need to do:

1. Sign Andruw Jones. Just do it. Give him his money. Failing that, for whatever reason, get Hunter or Rowand, in that order of priority.

2. Trade for Santana and sign him to a 6-7 year contract extension at 22ish/yr.

3. Trade either Damon, Matsui, or Abreu... in that order of priority. Then start Melky/Jones in center or left, with Matsui or Abreu in right, and the other DHing. Expect to eat salary in any trade except with Abreu.

4. Make Giambi decent enough at first that you can start him there. If you can't start Giambi at first, then he should be your priority DH.

5. Start Betemit at 3B. Please don't get Crede, he sucks. Same with Beltre. Lowell will demand way too much money and is going to go downhill real fast.

6. Resign Rivera and Posada. This is an absolute must on both accounts. There is no better catcher available and Mo is... well, Mo.

This gives you a lineup of:

(DISCLAIMER: This is not how I would order the lineup, but this is how I anticipate they will roughly order the lineup- - obv i expect adjustments to be made to have a L/R/L/R order).

1. Melky CF/LF
2. Jeter SS
3. Abreu RF
4. Jones LF/CF
5. Giambi 1B
6. Posada C
7. Matsui DH
8. Cano 2B (if Cano really starts to improve, obv he needs to jump Matsui in the lineup)
9. Betemit 3B

Keep Doug Malphabet around to be a defensive replacement late game for Giambi. Shelley Duncan remains a solid bench option.

With all these moves intact, the starting rotation is still up in the air. CMW may be traded, possibly in a deal for Santana. Kennedy could also move. Pettitte might not pick up his option. Here are some of the possible starting fives:

Santana, Wang, Pettitte, Mussina, Hughes/Joba (if Mussina starts so suck again, obv Joba is in)

Santana, Pettite, Mussina, Hughes, Joba

Santana, Wang, Mussina, Hughes, Joba

Santana, Mussina, Hughes, Joba, Kennedy/one of the other billion young pitchers in the farm system

Assuming the Yankees don't get Santana:

Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Joba, Mussina

Wang, Hughes, Joba, Mussina, Kennedy/billion prospects

They could also move Igawa for Cla Meredith. That would be baller.