View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Emotional Affairs

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys think people can actually have an emotional affair? I was listening to a local radio station today and they were talking about this guy who wrote in and said his wife had confessed to an emotional affair with a colleague and he didn't know what to think about it. He wasn't even sure he was that upset about it.

I don't get the term. I've had crushes on guys before but I certainly wouldn't call it an emotional affair. I've had friendships with guys who I confided in but hell I wouldn't call that an emotional affair either. And why would the wife confess such a dumb thing anyway?!

And while we're at it, which of these actions would make you more upset,

- your significant other goes out for a private lunch with the same guy (girl) from work every week, or
- your significant other talks on the internet with some strange guy (or girl)?

Would either of these things bother you? Are we not allowed to form friendships and bonds with people of the opposite sex once we're in a relationship?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I have read, an emotional affair is cheating without the sex. The emotional affair isn't just casual flirting or harmless friendship, it's everything you're supposed to have with your SO. But, do not.

I find the whole concept an annoying cliche. "He/she understands me and we have such deep and meaningful conversations...I think we're soul mates...bla bla bla."

I also think that the people having emotional affairs are disingenuous hypocrites. They're like all those evangelical Christian girls taking vows of abstinence who then, when polled, are statistically having higher rates of oral and anal sex than their peers.

Further, from my own perspective, I work in a small office with two women. One, who is fifteen years my senior, I like a lot and one is my age and I can't stand her. Although I have to confess that, physically, I would like to have sex with each of them, in neither case would I enter into any kind of emotional affair, because that would be extremely unfair to my current girlfriend.