View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Emotional Affairs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guys aren't friends with girls, they are just trying to get sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have female friends who i am not attracted to, but i kind of agree. i wouldn't go so far as to say guys are just interested in sex, but i think there is often some level of mutual attraction in most male-female relationships.

[/ QUOTE ]

That this throws people so incredibly severely shows how much our society has regressed, or at least never matured. Whatever happened to happy, harmless flirting? Everything has to be sturm und drang these days. Being mutually attracted to each other doesn't mean that anything is going to happen or that either party wants it to. I would hate to think an attractive, personable woman would have to withdraw her best qualities and ugly herself up to be deemed worthy of friendship. Are only ugly people worth befriending? Is befriending everyone merely a prelude to rubbing uglies? I don't think so. We can be incredibly perverse and childish about beauty and attractiveness sometimes. I really don't agree with this view of people that paints us all as morons, and it seems to me that people don't live their lives like that anyway. It's a mental trope that has become popular, but it's as ridiculous in its way as turning on Fox to hear your news. It's more than just simplified; it's greatly ramped up and idiotized.

It isn't deadly or sinful or anything remotely negative to be attracted to someone of the opposite sex. Nor is it determinative of anything at all, besides being born. It shouldn't be used as an excuse to abandon one's principles. A casual appreciation of another's attractiveness shouldn't turn the world head over heels, or even be particularly remarkable. If one isn't attracted to multiple people one has no intention of pursuing, said "one" must be living entirely indoors or be full of sh*t. You move on, you can even be friends, you can even flirt. And then you go home to your partner and it counts for exactly zero, besides the little bit of amusement and affirmation it was.