View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Disadvantages of dating a doctor or med student...

[ QUOTE ]
A year later when I came home, three weeks after I got back, she broke up with me. I was devastated...

then all of a sudden she wrote to me on AIM and we got back together because she said, "we were never able to give it a chance."

... I paid for her plane ticket for a 2 week trip to California over the summer, and I've always been there for her no matter what.

Well, she is an only child. She can be stubborn sometimes, but she is always stressed. She says that if she can't put 100% into something, then she shouldn't do it at all.

She's busy. She started getting behind on her work because she never got a break, and since the stress is building, our relationship was the first to go. She is very selfish and always tries to blame other people for her stress when all she needs to do is calm down and relax, but she can't. She has trouble sleeping at night and of course, it's some external event like her neighbor, me, doors slamming, or the light coming into her window. She wears earplugs at night just so that she can't hear any noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I had 3 girlfriends through medical school and 2 through residency, so I guess I can comment with some experience.

First, this girl is crazy.

Second, she is not going to be a neurosurgeon. Wearing earplugs when you sleep is one of those automatic disqualifiers from ultra-high level functioning. There aren't any neurosurgeons that use earplugs or eyemasks or "sounds of nature" CDs to sleep. They sleep standing up. So you can start by imagining how she is going to handle the "stress" of not doing as well as she wants to in medical school and having to change her mind about her specialty. She almost certainly won't end up in a surgical specialty and will almost certainly change specialties after her first year of residency (assuming she makes it through med school.)

I understand what it is like to fall for girls that are crazy or who generally suck. Knowing that doesn't make it any easier to lose them, but it IS important to eventually acknowledge the fact that you can never find sublime happiness if your S.O. is nuts.

To answer your general question, as a dude there aren't any explicit disadvantages to dating a med student or physician. As long as you are comfortable with the fact that whenever you meet her professional friends they will quietly or not so quietly be thinking that she is dating below herself because that's what traditionally successful people think about all other people.

Ah, I have to run to work... but that's the important stuff anyhow.

Irieguy