Thread: Mixing it up
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Mixing it up

Seems pretty standard to me. This is a way ahead/way behind scenario. If you bet the turn, villain would fold all hands he was way behind and move in with hands he is way ahead.

I think he called the river bet in case you had two overcards. To him your hand is either an overpair or two overcards and frankly it's about 50/50 so it's not a bad call. You wouldn't have gotten that extra $49 if you bet the turn in this case and you would have lost any bet you made on the turn (and maybe more) if villain had a set or the flush.

As far as mixing it up, you now have to play a hand like this the same way the next time you get AK and don't hit. Now you may get a better hand to fold the river.

As far as aggression, I don't see any need for it on your part in a hand like this. You are not going to get him to fold a hand like AA, a set or a flush. On the other hand, he could have moved in on you on the turn or river and his aggression may very well have made you fold the best hand depending on your current table image and playing style.