View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Razz - playing a 9

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If he had only a slightly better hand than mine, which I read him for, I think raising here is good. Although maybe you disagree on this too?

[/ QUOTE ]
We might be able to answer this better if you explain why you think raising forth is good. Is is for value? To represent a strong hand so he'll fold now or on a later street? Both of those reasons seem wrong to me - perhaps you had something else in mind? You can't be ahead here 50%+ of the time, so raising for value is out. He's not folding 4th unless he's bluffing with a pair. As for getting a fold later, a 4th street raise bloats the pot, giving him better odds on 'thin' call on the later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here are some reasons:
1) If I represent a good hand now with a worse board, I may very well get checked to if we catch similarly on 5th street, if he doesn't have a great hand. Similarly, he is very unlikely to lead out into me on 5th if he pairs up.

2) (Assuming he doesn't have a great hand) I do think he is more likely to fold if I catch good on the next street, even if this does bloat the pot it's still only two extra SB.

3) I like to have an aggro image with weak hands, when I'm only marginally behind. A smooth 9 is really marginally behind an 8.

Obviously there are quite negative aspects to the play too, as you have all noted.