View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: A Modern Reading List for High School?

John Cole,

I really enjoy The Lady or the Tiger, though mostly because I think it can elicit some form of easy discussion among people. I think if I ever taught it, I would have to really TEACH it, with some ideas of gender roles and the kids' life experiences that influenced their interpretation of the story. The Most Dangerous Game I liked when I read in middle school. It may not be strong, but its a fun little one I guess. Shrug.

I did not know that about Card's son. And a good bit of insight you gave me.

I haven't read Maus. I have heard only good things and would love to read it. If I get my hands on it, I think it could easily become something I teach in my classes, if given the opportunity.

Thanks for the refresher/quick rundown of Araby. I seriously haven't read it since around sophomore year of high school. Maybe I just wasn't all that into it. I remember that we got put into groups and everyone was assigned a story from Dubliners. I got The Dead and that is why I fell in love with that one.

Thanks for the article too. I have only gave it a once over thus far, but I appreciate it a lot.