View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: The rise of the fundamentalist right in America

Grunching - I read the first dozen replies or so.

The similarities between the American Fundamentalist Right and fascism are obvious, both in principle and in deed. Over the past several months, there has been a concerted effort of the religious right to bombard media outlets with opinion pieces, commentaries, and letters to the editor painting religion (read: Christianity) as under siege.

They deride supporters of gay marriage as sodomites. They claim schools are marginalizing Christmas, restricting students' ability to pray or wear religious symbols on their persons. They paint the "liberal media" or "East-Coast Intellectuals" and the like as the great Satan. They try to force religion into public school curricula (see Dover, PA). They claim evolution is "just" a theory, despite the innumerable proofs it has sustained.

In short, the Fundamentalists are waging a battle for hearts and minds using classic fascist techniques. They claim the nation is in decline (liberal media, illegal immigrants, gun control, gay marriage, removal of the ten commandments from courthouses, etc.), and that they are victims (threats to "our way of life"). They use half-truths and outright propaganda to advance their agenda. They claim moral authority by virtue of dogma. They are threatened by reason. They make use of scapegoats (liberl media, atheists, gays, terrorists, Islamists, Zionists, whatever).

Where have we seen this before?

I'm not blessed with faith. I see religions as hegemonical systems promulgated by certain human beings to mollify others. Religion holds power over its adherents. Religious leaders likewise serve as lower-level hegemons. Though many, if not most religions foster charity, good will, and peaceful practices, there is always the other side of the coin - the threat of eternal punishment, of guilt, of sin.

Of course, I'm not differentiating between the political "Religious Right" and religious sects. The system of power and control used for political ends could very well be bastardizing real faith. Still, the movement does not seem to be on the decline, and its methods are frighteningly familiar.