View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Putting in my notice - SCARY!!

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the kick in the butt. Im pretty clear now on what I want to do. Now the tricky part is how to explain what I want to do with my bosses so that I dont get fired in this next 30 days and lose a powerful job reference. This is my only real fear now.

I think I just need to accept the fact that Im not going to be 100% ready to make this leap in 30 days....and Im sure Ill have some more mini-breakdowns before April is over. I just need to keep focused and not let emotion take the better of me.

Thanks for all the advice and Id love to see some more responses here as I update the thread.

Richard

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have made up your mind that you are not going to stay there (it sounds like you have), then tomorrow I would essentially give them 30 days notice that you are resigning. Spin it in a good way, you have decided to start your own business, but that it is important to you to leave on good terms, and don't want to leave them in a pinch. You are giving them extra notice and are flexible on when your last day will to help them make the transition to after you are gone. They should appreciate this.

Remember, you never signed your life away to these people, and while I understand your sense of loyalty, you are probaby a lot more loyal to them than they are to you (not true with every company, but most these days).

If you end up staying, you pretty much need to get a raise/promotion in return for staying and giving up your business, or they could hold it against you as a blemish on your record (how much or if they would hold this against you is highly situational dependent too)