View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Fantasy Sports vs. Poker - Long Run, Variance, and Similarity to SNGs

I was hoping someone would post about the similarities/differences of poker and fantasy sports.

There is a site I play on that offers DAILY fantasy contests for real money. It's run just like a SNG - pony up $10+1 (or whatever stakes you play) and the 10 goes in the pot. I have been playing heads up every day, mostly baseball and doing very well (70% win rate). And thanks to the UGIEA carve-out, it's all perfectly legal!

I think the daily contests offer the variance similar to a SNG, especially if you play a 10 or 20 player contest. Rainouts, injuries, freak plays, overtime/extra innings can cost you in the short term.

However, IMHO fantasy baseball is more skill based than poker. There is so much instant information at your fingertips, and you don't have to make your selections until moments before the 1st game starts. I'm certain I'm playing against opponents who aren't using the same statistical/news/weather data I'm using - I suspect they are playing "hot" players or going on hunches.

As for a season long fantasy game, If you were limited on roster changes, I think it would somewhat mirror a SNG. After all, you can't change your cards at the table. If a player gets injured, you can drop him for another.