View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: the main problem with shortstackers that no one seems to mention

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you consider 50 BB to still be a "short stack"?

[/ QUOTE ]

not really. let me put it this way: having two 50 bb stacks to your right and two full stacks to your left would not be a very significant disadvantage. two 20bb stacks, on the other hand, most definitely would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean when you have 100 BB, then sure it doesn't make much of a difference, but I think it's important to have position on the big stacks no matter where the stacks are relative to the blinds. For instance (not that this comes up much on Stars), if I have a 500 BB stack and the person to my left also has a 500 BB stack, I think that's a huge disadvantage if everyone else at the table is at 100 BB. I won't stay at the table in that situation unless the 500 BB stack is really bad.

Also, the whole thing about a medium stack being at a disadvantage against a big stack is just silly unless the medium stack is playing like a bitch. If they're trying to maximize their equity and don't care about dropping a couple buy-ins here and there, there's no difference at all. The only way you could make an argument like that is if you're saying that the advantage you as a skilled player have over the other big-stacks as a big stack is enough to counter the edge the short-stackers have over you, whereas you're smaller edge as a medium stack isn't enough to cover that edge + the rake.