View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 AM

Default Re: the main problem with shortstackers that no one seems to mention

[ QUOTE ]
is having them to your right while having a full stack to your left. does anyone think that a coherent argument could be made to the poker sites that allowing shortstackers makes the games less fair -- not because it creates an unfair advantage for the shortstackers, but because it arbitrarily creates unfair advantages between the remaining players?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play fullstack often. It's easier to play shortstack (and I am not an elite player) especially when you multitabling and you create a form of cap-game, which for many reason is a decent professional move.

One thing I am quite convinced of, but can't prove because I do not collect any statistics from my own or other games, is that the problem at PLO is the medium stack. With a medium stack I mean 50-200BB against big stacks who often have much more. There you can talk of disadvantages - anyway is that my feeling when I play.

A big stack have to pay attention to shortstacks, but he just roll over the medium stacks (Of course every player can take advantage of shortstackers by the table if the player itself are good). So in my mind, you have to go for a very big stack or you should keep to short stack play. If your playing style is very laggy, then you go of course for the big stack advantage.

So my conclusion have nothing to do with position. If you want to forbid shortstackers (bit problematic I guess when they are all over the games in all form of poker - so it may hit the pokersites profit just to benefit the very minority of superior laggy big stack players), you should probably do it because you want to see another dynamic at the poker tables.

As medium stack you will always suffer under the massive pressure of a superior big stack player regardless where your position are. If the medium stack limp after I limp and the big stack raise after, and I re-raise, then you are in disadvantage. If I limp, the big stack raise and you call, and it's back to me and I re-raise, you are in disadvantage again. If you limp, I limp, the big stack raise, you call and I re-raise, you are in disadvantage. In all cases, not because of your position, just because of your stack size.

The bottom end is of course this. A good player will make profit regardless of the stacksize, but the medium stacks I am sure have not an easy task.