Thread: weird donk
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: weird donk

vma, are you advocating raise/call or raise/fold on the river? There seems to be disagreement among the raisers as to what to do if 3bet.

While I agree with the general principle that you don't always have to have a plan to deal with getting 3bet to justify a raise (in some cases, it's so obviously +EV to raise regardless of what you do when 3bet), but in this spot we're going to be 3bet fairly frequently because 4x hands are a large part of his range (even if not everyone agrees just how large).

I don't think it's an "easy easy" call but I don't really think it's that close either. It's one of those calls where you're probably good a fair amount of the time, but not 50% of the time when your raise is called/reraised (and that doesn't even get into what your plan is for dealing with a 3bet). FWIW, I don't play on Absolute, so it's possible the games play differently there.

Anyway, I agree it's close enough that a slightly different read would lead to raise. But the primary reason I would raise is because I thought my opponent was going to play 5x like that frequently, since that is the hand I want to get calls from. The passive description makes it possible that he would check/call flop and turn, but I would need to know that he makes thin river value bets (not awful river bluffs) before I would expect raising to be the best play. So IF he showed up with, says 7s 5s, after I called this time, THEN I would adjust my read and look for places to raise for value on the river (like this hand) against him.