View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod is simply a great player, possibly the greatest of all time, but not much else.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a-rod has some positives, some negatives but overall is the greatest player of all time. Why wouldn’t a team want to spend top dollar on him?

[/ QUOTE ]

ARod is a great player, but nowhere near the greatest of all time. He's not even the greatest of his generation. Pujols might be more valuable. My list of greats more valuable than A-Rod would include Bonds, Ruth, gherig, Mantle, Mays, and Aaron off the top of my head. The fact that Franchise keeps repeating this implies he doesnt know much about baseball and doesnt think about it very deeply.

I think A-Rod missed his opportunity to be the all time greatest when he was moved from short. Had he put the same numbers up as a gold glove short stop his value would have been near all time great levels. But not only did he move to a less valuable defensive position, but curiously he played it worse.

I wonder if this opt out signals a desire to move back to SS? If he could return to form at SS it sure would increase his value significantly, and whoever pays him $300M wont regret it as much.

I have to think Boras simply made a mistake timing the announcement, he just killed his client if it was intentional. Probably a knee jerk reaction to the Yankee extension offer, but announcing it during a world series after his client declined to recieve an important award from Hank Aaron makes one wonder if Boras really wants to make A-Rod the next Bonds in more than one way.