View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Negotiation 101 Mess Up - Possible To Fix?

[ QUOTE ]
So i got offered a job today and i made the classic mistake. They offered x and i asked for y which was the actual ammount i wanted. They gave in right away. Obviously i should have asked for z which is more then y but i did not. Is there any way i can fix this when i go in to do paperwork? The offer is not in writing, and was discussed on 2 cell phones with constant break ups. Is it really stupid of me to try and get a little more at this point, or should i just chalk up the l and move on? Any advice on this would help.

Due to the job being a 45 minute commute compared to the current 20 minute commute i was thinking of asking for a little more due to increased gas costs, but i already mentioned this when i asked for y. Perhaps i can say i didn't factor in mornings with traffic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Be elated that you got exactly what you wanted. Do the job well and you'll get what you want next time. Just because they agreed right away doesn't mean they wanted to pay a whole lot more.

It just means that you were within their expected budget. It's a great sign that their immediate response was not to lowball you.