View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: psychology of poker

[ QUOTE ]
thanks, but i'll go with the general consensus and skip this book.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's too bad. I thought it was the best source of informaiton on why people play the way they do despite the fact that both you know and they know that they lose money over the long run when they play that way. It's one thing to know that a guy is loose/passive, or loose/aggressive, or tight/passive, or tight/aggressivebut, but it's another (and better) thing to understand why he plays that way and how you can spot it, and profit from it.

All the "strategy" complaints are silly. It's not a strategy book. Any strategy information is only used to explain a point in the text. Basically, the book contends that tight/aggressive play with the intent to make money by maximizing EV is the best style of play. LDO. But people still play those other styles in live games (badly) all the time. And TA does not equal weak-tight.

As I said earlier, I play live mostly. And just about everything he says still has relevance in the live games that I play.

Is it common sense stuff? Maybe. But I learned a lot. I think it's a great read for an intermediate player trying to understand via the quizes what motivates him to play poker, and what motivates many of the other people that he's in the game with.