View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Japan trip report, with pics

wow, very cool...more, please!

I saw the Yomuri Giants play when I visited Tokyo about twenty years ago and it remains one of my all-time favorite travel experiences:

When I first visited Tokyo, I was about 19...I went to a baseball game with my buddy and it was great fun. Like An American college football game. Colorful banners, songs and chants, and everyone having a great time. Instead of guys walking around selling peanuts, they sold seaweed on a stick!

One experience made me marvel at how completely nice and helpful the Japanese are:

I went to a concession stand and ordered a lemonade. I had seen someone else with one and he had ice in it. Well, I got one without ice and tried asking for some ice to be put into my drink. I didn't speak Japanese, the concession guy didn't speak English. I tried pantomiming ice - cold, brrr, shivering - a group of customers gathered around and tried to help, shouting out instructions to the concession guy.

The guy kept running around behind his counter picking up random things and showing me. I'd shake my head and keep "shivering." Finally, he picked up some ice from below the counter (I couldn't see it) - I pointed and said, "that's it" with a big smile. About 15 Japanese people shouted and cheered and pounded my back like I had just hit a home run.

Best lemonade I ever had.