View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: theblackkeys\' \"Starting Strength\" log

3/25

Crap workout. I only got 3 hours of sleep last night and had to work all day. Ate burger king for dinner last night AND for lunch today. Blech.

I've got a little soreness in my left shoulder, probably from my first day of power cleans. I decided to forego my upper body workout today to allow my joints to heal.

Squats: 3x5x190. On the fifth rep of sets 1 and 2, I got a little loose on the bottom and lost my trunk tightness, which made me lose momentum. I probably should have let the bar fall off at that point, but I powered through it. I think I wasn't leaned over enough, causing my balance to shift from the middle of my foot to my heels. Last set was good, but pretty damn hard.

Overhead press: During warmups, shoulder pain did not go away, so I skipped the presses. I worked on racking the bar on my deltoids with my elbows pointing forward. The bar damn near chokes me in the process when I do it.

Power Cleans: I brought Starting Strength to the gym to help me remember the coaching cues for the power clean. I used an empty bar to practice sliding the bar up and down my thighs and sticking my butt back. I'm having a hard time making the bar slide against my thighs when I start the movement from the bottom, but I have no problem when the bar is in the hang position and I lower it. Also, the "jump" part feels a little awkward and uncoordinated.

Because I didn't do any work sets for power cleans, I did deadlifts to compensate.
DL: 1x5x195

Not sure what I should do on tuesday as far as upperbody workout goes.