View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Official Law School Sucks Thread

I really enjoy law school. Most of the students are pretty cool and fun people to be around. I find most of the classes interesting. I also like the out of classroom activities such as the clinical program I'm involved in, the student-run law groups, and the social activities.

Since this is the "official law school sucks thread," I'll complain about something:

On campus interviewing is retarded. It really seemed to stress a lot of people out. The law firms interviewed something like 20 people per one spot. They need to do more filtering prior to the interviews. If they know they want students with a certain GPA and certain activities (law review), then they shouldn't waste other students' time. (I did not participate in this process but I witnessed everyone complaining about it)

Oh, and not to knock your plan Noah but I have heard this same career plan from probably 5 of my friends. I don't find anything wrong with it but I question how easy it is going to be to make the switch between jobs. You have a few things going against you:

1) It is not easy to switch to a job with less pay. Even if the job is much better and will make you happier, the decrease in pay is a major factor keeping many lawyers from making such a change.
2) Lawyers at big firms tend to live a lifestyle where they spend a lot of money. It will be difficult to change this lifestyle if you spend money as your peers do.
3) Many people want to change their job but don't do it because it is much easier to maintain the status quo. So this 3 year plan may turn into a 15 year stint at Biglaw.