View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: (razz) An observation about low limit razz

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I'm talking about fish here (and I'm sorry but show me a long term winner with 40%+ vpip and we'll talk)

[/ QUOTE ]

So, I was keeping this thread in mind and while I'm not going to track a player for three months, I do have a few players for you. Two are at too high stakes for me to sit with, the last one plays 1/2 at PStars pretty regularly.

The 1/2 player ranges between 37-42% VPIP in the games I have and makes about $10 an hour. If you play over there, and you want to PM me, I'll send you his name. I've rarely seen him lose, but I only have actual stats since I've gotten PT.

Then there are the maniacs -

"Z" has a VPIP of 48% - his variance is huge, he is ultra-aggressive and right now over the sessions I tracked him he is making $45 an hour playing 5/10.

"H" is insane. His VPIP is always around 60%. He doesn't do as well as Z, he only makes about $10 an hour at 3/6.

Of course, I can't "prove" that these players win over the course of a year. I'm certainly not going to start playing this way, myself. But I have played with the 1/2 player for a few months and I know he's a winning player. Many good players that earn a living grinding out Razz (or any game) are playing a lot of junk in the hole. At least, more than we'd think. Other good players are not playing as much junk.

Everyone develops their own style and I'm sure you have a lot of fish with 40% VPIP. But some of them aren't fish. They are playing percentages and our imaginations, not their cards.

This is a quote from Ted Forrest who some consider to be one of the best Razz players anywhere:

"If you are a fundamentally sound player, you will be at a disadvantage to players who really understand Razz.... "

I think his "fundamentally sound player" (which is what I'm striving to learn right now) will in the end do OK at low limits when they are playing others like themselves. And I think we can get into the money in tournaments. But being at the top, in the real high stakes, that's gonna take something else.