View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Boston Area Poker Club Robbed

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The guy running it was a fool for not asking to see a warrant. Even SWAT would have a warrant, they would just bust down the door before showing it to you though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because when asked for a warrant the crooks with guns would have to sheepishly look at each other, than say sorry we don't have one, and slowly shuffle out, with heads hung low. Their perfect plan to rob the place with guns foiled due to lack of warrant.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no warrant shown in the raid I was caught in, I think thats an incorrect argument - police can raid without a warrant if they believe there is criminal activity currently taking place.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Especially not in the circumstances here. Cops can knock on the door and make arrests if someone lets them in and they observe illegal activities, but if they kick down the door without a warrant, the cases against whoever they decide to charge will get tossed once they hit court.

Cops can only kick down doors without warrants if they are in hot pursuit of a fleeing suspect, they believe a person is in danger, or they witnessed criminal activity taking place, and the evidence will likely be destroyed during the time it takes to get a warrant.

Also, in the raid you were caught in, they probably had a warrant, but just didn't show it. Having a warrant is more important to the court cases later than it is to conducting the actual raid.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) There is never a warrant in NYC raids, its an argument that has been used by lawyers representing the arrested parties spending nights in Toombs before, but it never works. They send in an undercover cop first. This is also how its been done in NYC and Dallas first, there is already witness of a criminal act. For more on this experience, i suggest reading Limit King NYC's blog

2) In the NYC there are visits and there are raids. Visits happen too often, usually they claim they got a call that someone has a gun. What that really means is that they know the room exists, and they are visiting to verify how many players are there in preparation to send in an undercover cop(sometimes they are the girlscouts looking to sell some cookies if you know what i mean my man - that can get expensive of course).

Of course NYC underground clubs barely exist now, and raids on the remaining few rarely occur because outsiders are no longer let in.