View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: HSA (Health Savings Account)

[ QUOTE ]
I've looked at HSAs but I didn't like them because of the high deductible per year. You have to pay a lot out of your own pocket until the insurance starts taking care of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

But your monthly fee is a lot lower. There's a certain balance. If you're young and healthy and expect to have some years where you don't go to a doctor at all, then an HSA+HDHP is a much better deal. If you have something huge happen, then it's roughly the same because with an HDHP you're paying like $50/month + $2000 deductible instead of $200 or $250/month.

BTW the FAR FAR more important thing with health insurance is to make sure you have 100% coverage past your deductible. Some of the budget plans are like a $1000 deductible and then 70% coverage after that. That can bankrupt you if something really bad happens, because 30% of a major surgery is still way too much.

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, if you file as a pro, you don't need an HSA to deduct health care expenses.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not really true, so far as I know. For one thing you have to itemize, which for most young people is not a good deal, the standard deduction is better. But the big problem is this :

"You may deduct only the amount by which your total medical care expenses for the year exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income"

Hmmm.. but actually as I read the details you're right, there's an except for self employed people, you can deduct 100% and in fact you can deduct your premiums as an income adjustment. That's strange, I think even Russ Fox isn't doing that.