View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Introducing a kid to good music

Even if you can't expect them to like or understand less accessible stuff you play around them, it still has to be a good influence to demonstrate an appreciation for things that are a bit different. Probably the most important thing though is to send the message that it's worth seeking out music/other stuff that speaks to you rather than just settling for what is popular, and I guess just showing a real enthusiasm for checking out new things is a positive influence.

I have a lot of memories of being really bored while my parents spent hours searching for/picking and choosing the right product (from stuff like dragging me around to a bunch of shops because they didnt want to buy a shirt with a visible brand name on it, to taking a while choosing fruit at the supermarket to make sure to only get decent quality fruit) and though as a 5 year old i thought it was stupid and just wanted to get home faster to watch bad tv, i'm obviously now really glad to have been brought up with those values.