View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Why are value investor types so rigidly opposed to TA?

Also, I think many fundy types assume TA exclusively involves involves looking at charts and deciphering the patterns and predicting where prices are going to next. I buy and sell based on pretty basic TA but very little of my time is spent staring at the chart. It works and has worked satisfactorily for me so far and has been proven to be robust during testing.

I think much of the value investor's resistance to TA is often ignorance on TA methodology and people like to shun things they don't fully understand or have an interest in. I'm sure most/all TAs accept that FA works well in the right hands, but perhaps many FAs think that a successful TA is just running hot.

I think being a stubborn value investor and ignoring price and volume can really sting. There is a lot to be said in combining the two disciplines. A value investor can find companies whose valuations provide a set-up (can be short, too) and a TA can find an entry point whereby they can avoid buying over-sold companies still in the grip of a long-term bear move, or avoid shorting overbought companies still in a bull market frenzy. - shorting "overvalued" tech stocks during thelate 90s would have left a nasty scar, just as not buying the same overvalued companies could have resulted in a missed opportunity.

There have obviously been famous value investors (and I'm sure Desert Cat will chime in soon) and some perhaps less famous TA traders. I prefer what interests me. I find TA fascinating, but FA to be a frustrating trip into tedium.

There are a million and one ways to extract money from the market, but the trader's or investor's psychological methodology is more more important than their trading/investing methodology (IMO). Besides, I think FA is more suitable for investing whereas TA is more of a trader's tool. Apples and oranges.