View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Study Group Day 1

I am yet another LHE player making the move to NLHE (although I haven't played much at all of either over the past couple of years). I'm having some difficulty in figuring out implied odds. While in Limit, implied odds are pretty straight forward (if I hit my draw I can probably win an extra bet on the river), in NLHE this is obviously quite a bit more complicated. Do you have any guidelines for estimating implied odds? Not actual percentages or anything, but more of an elaboration of the thought process.

For example assuming medium stack sizes, you are HU and in position against a preflop raiser (say, average PF raise of 4x the BB):

You hold A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on a board of: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Your opponent leads for 2/3 of the pot.

What if he's TAG, or LAG, or Loose-Passive, or Weak-Tight?

What if your draw is more 'hidden'. Say you hold 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the same board?

Once again, I'm not looking for actual estimates, just more of the thought process on how these different factors can lead to a roughly accurate view of your implied odds.

Thanks in advance!