View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: What Would David Say About This Remark?

Hi RDuke,

I didn't concede anything. I remember saying that the evidence for the genetic case is not strong. But the other side's evidence is even less compelling IMO.

I didn't start this thread. Just responding to claims that ethnic IQ differences are entirely cultural, and that Crick's statements are inaccurate - they're not if you actually read them. He never even mentioned genetics. All of his statements except for the employment one are reasonable and backed up by facts.

[ QUOTE ]
And if you're starting again, you still haven't sent that wealthy subsaharan african vs. poor chinese intelligence study that you promised me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't remember saying there was a study on this. What I do know is that wealthy African Americans show the same differential as poor African Americans. Scroll down to the bottom of this page, and look at the charts:

http://www.lagriffedulion.f2s.com/testing.htm

Wealth is not closing the gap here, and neither is parental educational attainment. This is also seen across professions such as bar pass rates (guess what - a standard deviation).

Furthermore, Chinese IQ is widely reported at being 100-106. This is very close to Korean and Japanese IQ, which have very different cultures, and vastly different incomes and education levels. At the time these tests were done, the average yearly income in China was around $1000, with 16% of the population below the poverty line. Compare that with a $30,000 average income for black households in the US. Blacks have access to better medical care, universal education, and the benefits of a prosperous society. To claim that their results are due to poverty is absolutely ridiculous - both the lowest and highest levels of black society score far worse than Asians. Even the wealthiest blacks, with college graduate parents, are beaten by the poorest, below the poverty line Asians, with parents who didn't attend high school. If that doesn't give you pause, I don't know what to say.

These scores are indisputable facts. On the face of it, it seems reasonable that there is some actual, race based difference in IQ and ability to succeed in tasks that require high level cognition and planning. The overwhelming evidence of this, combined with Occam's razor, makes inborn differences a slam dunk in my opinion. The burden of proof is on the doubters to show why this isn't the case, to show that these massive differentials, which span all levels of society, multiple countries, multiple cultures, and anecdotal evidence such as cultural sophistication, are caused entirely by culture effects or bias in testing.

It really pisses me off that people can look at all this evidence dismiss it immediately. Points such as the above have never adequately been answered by those who disagree, in my opinion. There's a lot of bluster but little hard evidence.