View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/5 - 500k buyin - Spoilers expected)

Attempted Strategy Post

guys I play deep on FT exclusively (maybe 95% deep, 5% other). Now, I play really low stakes compared to some of you, but I will put in my .02 here.

You need to be letting go of hands earlier than in 100bb games. And you need to be seeing rivers cheaply when there is doubt in the strength of your hand. This is the main difference btwn deep stacked games and short stacked games IMO.

The reason you need to be folding on turn more often is b/c river pots will be big, but show down pots will be huge. I mean to think that you are gunna be let off the hook on the river is pretty foolish IMO. The aggressor of the action is gunna be looking to take down the pot on the river. And if you feel doubt about your hand on the turn, IMO there is no way you can call turn, and not feel in doubt on river. You can't value shove as easily, b/c the effective stacks make the situation much more marginal. I mean look how thin the situation w/ Doyle vs Jamie. They literally have the same exact hand, and could potentially be playing a 1mill pot.

Seeing rivers:

This is a very common line when playing deep. You see Guy Laliberte do it vs Farha's flush, and you see Antonio do it vs BG. Now IDK what his whole deal was on the river, but I am not really debating the lack of value raise. I'm just saying, you wanna be playing huge pots when both players are willing to go broke (you and villain). And if you playing aggressive when villain isnt gunna go broke (and you are), you are really getting little value. An example would be the Antonio hand. I mean what boards is hands is barry gunna go broke with? Not many. And the ones he does go broke w/ are ahead of Antonio.

2 others barry might go broke w/ are lower sets, though I really cant comment on the hypothetical situation. Thats it IMO. So the only value Antonio gets is from medium strength hands like 2 pairs, TPTK, OP, FD. And IMO seeking value on flop from that range will really kill the action.

Barry's line IMO is the opposite: he is really setting himself up to get value from a wide range (pretty much anything other than sets) at showdown (flushes, etc..).

I'm not taking any sides here. I'm just saying these guys are adjusting from a short stack game to a deep game. I mean if there was a 30BB cap, all these hands would play out the way you guys feel they should have. But those extra 170BB or 270BB in your stack really change the lines.

I'm not sure if I understand deep play as well as others; I'm still grinding, and not ballin at 150-300 (deep). but I do feel I am more aquianted w/ it than most, b/c I have played maybe 100-200k hands in the last 10 months at the deep tables where often times I am sitting with 400, 600, even 1,000BB (I think 1k+ was only 1 or two times though)

Anywya:

DB's hand was one of the sickest things I may have ever seen on HSP. I mean I was so excited when jamie called flop, (knowing that Jamie is as competent as anyone to pull a crazy move out of his ass). Both players played the hand well, IMO, and I was glad to see everyone's favorite degen take it down.

I really think there will be some sick action here in later episodes, and I dont expect to see Antonio play scared (imo he wasnt, but IDK) b/c he is sick good and way +EV in almost any table draw.