View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Sushi trip reports - starting w/ Kiss Seafood in SF

[ QUOTE ]
Billy: Many sushi places do omakase that is sashimi/sushi combinations. I haven't been to other Bay Area places that do an omakase like this where it is more like Nobu style omakase with a mix of sashimi/sushi and cooked dishes. Overall, I feel like the quality and execution was a notch above regular favorites of mine like Sushi Groove South and Blowfish (reviews of these and other Bay Area places somewhere on this forum). I'm going to Sushi Ran (http://www.sushiran.com/) soon and will give a comparison. Sushi Ran received a Michelin star and many now call it the best sushi in the Bay Area. Last time I went was over a year ago and it was very good, but I didn't think it was that much better than SF places. Kyo-ya in downtown SF might be the best sushi in the city. VERY expensive, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. I just moved to the Bay Area a few months ago and I can't afford to eat very expensive meals on a regular basis, but I love me some sushi once in awhile.

The only really good sushi I've had since coming here is Kirala in Berkeley (where I live). I wish their menu were a little more creative. It has all the same things that are on the menu of every other sushi restaurant, but they're fresh and very high quality, plus I sat at the sushi bar so I got to eat them literally seconds after they had been prepared. However, it just didn't have the "wow" factor that would make me rate it with the best sushi I've ever had (Oishii in Boston). I got a bowl of miso soup, 3 orders of nigiri (ikura, hamachi, and toro, 2 pieces each) and a spider roll, and paid a total of $40 including tax and tip.

I'll write a longer trip report for Oishii later.