View Single Post
Old 12-23-2006, 05:47 AM

Default Re: More Leyser-Gold drama

I think it is particularly damning that he hasn't paid the other guy either. His argument that he isn't paying Leyser because Leyser made him mad doesn't work as well when he didn't pay the other guy in full.

Gold's biggest problem in my opinion is that his story was obviously BS. He just wanted to give him the money because he felt sorry for him. Absurd. In any context, once the judge or jury decide that you are full of crap and your word is not to be believed, you are in trouble.

The concise summary from the pleadings is persuasive, I think:

[ QUOTE ]
In order to believe the Defendant’s version of events, which is unsupported and is merely a self-serving statement of the Defendant, the Court would have to believe that on August 11, 2006, after being guarenteed at least $1,200,000 in the World Series of Poker Main Event, the Defendant contacted Crispin Leyser, who he had known for one month and who had been repeatedly harassing him during the poker tournament, to confirm his “promise” to Crispin that he would receive half of Defendant’s winnings, and that the Defendant did all of this because he felt sorry for Crispin.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, Gold should try very hard to get Leyser to settle. He can then try to put some face-saving spin on the thing. If he doesn't, he's likely to still pay the $6 million and burn up a bunch in legal fees.